Banner left   Banner center   Banner right

Germanenglish Home · News · Diary · Screenshots · Documentation (Wiki) · Downloads · Guestbook · Forum

Home · Benutzer registrieren · Suchen · Statistik · FAQ · Benutzerliste

Zur Zeit online: kein Gast, xanbank

X-Force - Fight For Destiny - Forum —› English - gamesets —› The Diary of William Walker

Seite: << [1] 2 [3] [4] [5] [6] >>

Autor Mitteilung
verfasst am: 02.10.2009, 22:56
Programming

Registrierdatum: 01.07.2008, 07:53

Greetings.
@Kerks
Way to avoid error, mentioned by Criusmac, is to do after ground win one_game_time_unit delay before executing rest of script. i.e
if Einsatz.Result=grWin then register_timed_event(@timeup,nil,1).Repeated:=false;
Where timeup contain rest of Ende function.
Now this is applicable to mostly all hang up at end of ground after (losegame, lowmoney, lowroom, lowitem, lowalphatron ) error messages.
Temporary way, sorry. Will try to find proto-error.
Sorry for hard language/explain.
Best regards.
verfasst am: 02.10.2009, 23:26
Registrierdatum: 28.07.2009, 19:04

I liked the older gameset where you went hunting a few times before the soldiers actually arrived. I miss that. I've tried replaying the game from the start again, and it seems to have been removed.

I guess there's no way to rename the first soldier as William Walker either?
verfasst am: 04.10.2009, 16:28

Is there any chance food can decrease as the days pass? I often have to recycle the food since it takes a lot of space, and doesn't seem to do anything. It also seems very important to the story... But I suspect this wasn't possible, or it would already have been done..

But anyway, this post is here now to see if anyone has any suggestions on how to do this.
verfasst am: 04.10.2009, 16:42
Spielsatz Alliances

Registrierdatum: 14.07.2004, 14:47

Zitat: Criusmac
But anyway, this post is here now to see if anyone has any suggestions on how to do this.

I had some thoughts on that topic when I realized that food is useless atm... I doubt that it would be very funny to play, but nevertheless, here is what I figured out:
Food is consumed every day, depending on the number of technicans, soldiers, scientists, etc. If there isn't enough food, a global Integer called "Morale" (or something like that) would decrease. If there is enough food over a long period of time, morale could rise (preferrable quicker if <100 and slower if >100). With morale rising/falling, the global modifiers for production/research time could change as well, and soldiers could get penalties in battle, like less TU, a chance for becoming blind ( redcing the vision range - before you start complaining: I just looked up what would be possible via scripting, I didn't claim I have a story explanation for it xD) or something else that hurts.
But after all, I guess it would be very difficult to balance the effects.
verfasst am: 04.10.2009, 17:18
Registrierdatum: 22.08.2008, 15:51

I get an error that I don't have enough living quarters, and need to build more, and then the battle doesn't end properly.

I didn't realise that overpopulation would cause such an error. I'll set it on my todo list.

@gnfalex: As I understand you, to solve the problem I have simply to add the soldiers, etc, at the end of the day and not at the end of the combat. Sounds useful.

s there any chance food can decrease as the days pass? [...] It also seems very important to the story

It will be important for the story. The food consumption is available for the next version, I've already scripted it.

Zitat: sujin
With morale rising/falling, the global modifiers for production/research time could change as well, and soldiers could get penalties in battle

Good one, I like that. <noted> But current you will simply lose money and my plan is that the soldiers will lose healthpoints to simulate that they starve.
verfasst am: 04.10.2009, 18:42
Programming

Greetings
@Kerks
Sorry, I dont sure, how it will work at end of day. It also can hangup in cause of overpopulation. I suggest to add personel at one minute (not less, not more, this is gap in bug 2314) after end of ground combat. Then they will appeared immediately after returning to geoscape.
Best regards.
verfasst am: 04.10.2009, 19:18 · Edited by: sujin
Spielsatz Alliances

Why so complicated? You can easily check if there's living space, and take your countermeasures:
if TBase.LivingSpaceUsed < TBase.LivingSpace then
begin
  // add Person
end
else
begin
  // do something to prevent error
end;

I suggest building a "Tunnels - Accomodations". Or you might add a special building without costs and 1 living space, so the player isn't giftet too much space ;-)
verfasst am: 04.10.2009, 19:47
Programming

Yes, sure.
Sorry, inertia of thinking :-)
verfasst am: 07.10.2009, 15:40

In the very first draft of the gameset, the other races were slaves of the Aquariier but their duties within the society of the Aquariier have grown so much that I've decided that they should be allies. There were some parts in the texts which I simply have overseen after the first changes. That's all.
Some details of the society of the League and their intetions will be shwon sooner or later.
verfasst am: 14.10.2009, 05:10

I am having a bit of trouble making sense of the following translation due to grammar. The English translation you're providing is as follows:

To the basic facilities also count accomodations, in which everybody feels at home. Altough, I prefer my house.

The German translation via Babelfish says mostly the same thing, although it adds important words here and there:

To the fundamental basis mechanisms naturally an accommodation counts, in which everyone probably-feels. Despite everything I will prefer my house.

The corrected spelling of your translation is:

To the basic facilities also count accommodations, in which everybody feels at home. Although, I prefer my house.

My problem with this though is how it begins in each of these cases - To the. This is very confusing since, well, it wouldn't be used in English, and it's not clear what you are hoping to say.

I am guessing you are trying to say accommodations are considered basic facilities. Since I'm still not sure if some meaning is missing, I would like to ask how you wanted to phrase this. I have the following guesses:

1) These are basic facilities which also count as accommodations, in which everybody feels at home. Although, I prefer my house.

2) These basic facilities count as accommodations, in which everybody feels at home. Although, I prefer my house.

3) Basic facilities also contain accommodations, in which everybody feels at home. Although, I prefer my house.

4) Something else...

Usually I'd have picked one of those, but "To the" seems really weird to see, and I'm probably getting something wrong... Please let me know.

1 feels very run on, which is usually frowned upon in English, but I've noticed it's common in your translation, and people actually talk in this way... Just not usually write in this way.

2 is what I would normally pick. It loses a fair bit of information though.

3 is what I think is most likely given the wording of the translation. It is in a formal format for the first sentence, which means the personal feelings of William in the second sentence are out of place. 3 is the most likely format you'd see written in a report, or at least the first sentence is.
verfasst am: 14.10.2009, 07:16
Admin, Spielsatz GalWar

Registrierdatum: 31.08.2005, 21:51

My problem with this though is how it begins in each of these cases - To the. This is very confusing since, well, it wouldn't be used in English, and it's not clear what you are hoping to say.

The problem here is that it's a literal translation of a more or less common phrase in German. And it would have been better to translate the meaning, not the single word components of the phrase.
verfasst am: 14.10.2009, 17:18

To the basic facilities also count accomodations, in which everybody feels at home. Altough, I prefer my house.

Yup, that's an error. It has to be your number 3). My bad. Have you found any other translation errors or (hopefully not) any German parts?
verfasst am: 14.10.2009, 20:34 · Edited by: Grywwyn
Registrierdatum: 12.08.2009, 12:49

Zitat: Kreks
..thats an error.
..sollte eher that's a mistake heissen, error ist eher Fehler in einer Apperatur oder Maschiene, mistake wäre eher nen rechtschreibfehler
Zitat: Kreks
My bad.
DAS klingt sogar für meine deutschen Ohren falsch.. ziehmlich übeler Amy-Slang wenn ich richtig informiert bin... --> My fault.
verfasst am: 14.10.2009, 20:39
Spielsatz Alliances

No, "my bad" is fine. Rather american than british english, and very informal, but we aren't at a buisness meeting, are we?
verfasst am: 14.10.2009, 20:51
Registrierdatum: 12.08.2009, 12:49

okay, if you say so.. but it sounds horrible in my ears.. well, probably i've got my sisters british english in my ears^^
verfasst am: 15.10.2009, 03:51 · Edited by: Criusmac

Depending on what you consider translation errors, I found many things I considered problems.

The most common "errors" I found are spelling mistakes. Some are grammatical, but I'm leaving most of those in place now.
The second most common problem are run on sentences. Basically, the sentences in the translation have many commas, and usually we try to put more periods in. For example, the current sentence I'm looking at is:
Eva has shown me that it's not good to put the alphatron on the ground, it gets dirty and is therefore harder to manufacture, this is why we need s special storage for it.

I changed it to:
Eva has shown me that it's not good to put the Alphatron on the ground, it gets dirty and is therefore harder to manufacture, this is why we need a special storage for it.

Normally, in English, we would have said:
Eva has shown me that it's not good to put the Alphatron on the ground. It gets dirty and is therefore harder to manufacture. This is why we need a special storage for it.

I am keeping the run on sentence since that seems to happen a lot, and so I'm trying to consider it an accent.. Let me know if you want that changed.

Originally, when I was first translating this, I changed the order of words to correct grammar, and since I merged the original into this new one, some of that remains.. But I am trying to not fix grammar as often now since I consider it an accent of sorts.

I have found very little German, and mostly only while playing the game. I did not understand what was happening at those times, but I figured I might find it while looking over english.dat.

One piece of German I've found so far was "First weapon" was not translated. I don't know if it's used or not, but it is in english.dat as [P/841851973/ResearchInfo].

I have been merging my previous translation to your new one, and the meaning is mostly identical. If you wish, I can upload what I have changed so far, or just keep going until I am done. I estimate I'll be done in a month or so, since I spend little time doing it.
verfasst am: 15.10.2009, 04:24 · Edited by: Criusmac

I have no idea how to upload any of the work I've done on english.dat. Is there an easy way to do this?
verfasst am: 15.10.2009, 07:24
Admin, Spielsatz GalWar

Registrierdatum: 31.08.2005, 21:51

I have no idea how to upload any of the work I've done on english.dat. Is there an easy way to do this?

Can you upload this into a (new) mantis ticket on our bugtracker (http://bugs.xforce-online.de)?

Use the "XForce Gamesets" as project selection, and if you have problems with that simply tell me your Mantis-Login.
verfasst am: 15.10.2009, 08:03
Programming

Greetings
Two untranslated text entries are present in scripts under game_api_messagebox(). (Flugzeugwerft.xms, strings 19 and 29)
Also some English text exist in script Konstanten.xms
Best regards
verfasst am: 15.10.2009, 09:17

As requested, I have uploaded
0002335: Here is my current changes to William Walker text

Now that I look at it, I probably should have said "Here are", but oh well.

It's about 1/3 done, so hopefully that's a good start.

Seite: << [1] 2 [3] [4] [5] [6] >>

Du musst dich registrieren um auf dieses Thema zu antworten.
Login :: » Name » Passwort

Ladezeit (sec.): 0.018 · Powered by miniBB 1.6 with parts of 1.7 © 2001-2003