Banner left   Banner center   Banner right

Germanenglish Home · News · Diary · Screenshots · Documentation (Wiki) · Downloads · Guestbook · Forum

Home · Benutzer registrieren · Suchen · Statistik · FAQ · Benutzerliste

Zur Zeit online: keiner ausser dir

X-Force - Fight For Destiny - Forum —› Translations —› looking for an english translator

Seite: 1 [2] [3] >>

Autor Mitteilung
verfasst am: 03.02.2007, 13:20 · Edited by: DirkF
Admin, Spielsatz GalWar

Registrierdatum: 31.08.2005, 21:51

Hello,

we're looking for someone to translate several german texts into english language.
I could do it myself but that would result in longer waiting time between game updates, and I think that in such a case the community would prefer that someone else translates ;-)
verfasst am: 04.02.2007, 16:08 · Edited by: Kahlos
Registrierdatum: 03.02.2007, 23:31

Hi,
I'm an English guy whos learning German at the moment. I'll do the translation for you but it may take me a while to get to grips with it. Anyway it'll help me learn! Are there any other English people on this site or are they all German ? So where shall i start ? :D
verfasst am: 04.02.2007, 17:32
Admin, Spielsatz GalWar

There used to be several english people here and they even planned to make an english gameset for X-Force, but unfortunately the programming proceded faster than the english dokumentation and translation - many of the new features are only dokumented in german, and the translation of the editors also progressed only slowly...

If you can give me your email (send to xforce@avarion.de), I'll send you something as a start in one or two days...
verfasst am: 04.02.2007, 20:48
Registrierdatum: 15.12.2006, 16:25

Hi,
I'm Austrian, but my english is not too bad, so that I could surely be of some help. Unfortunately my sparetime is rather low, since i'n working on my masther thesis, but I could help you with doulbe checking your translations and translating some shorter texts.

If you need help with your translation, you should use the Dictionaire at www.leo.org it's really good.
verfasst am: 04.02.2007, 23:02
Registrierdatum: 04.02.2007, 22:45

Greetings,

I first came around this game quite a while ago. Originally, I was just looking for the latest games in the XCOM series and I stumbled unto this. Now, let's just say I'd be happy to help making a good english version of the game.

I've been playing a lot by myself (version 9.03, haven't tried 9.10 yet), and I did find a lot of things missing or simply wrong. I'm not making any negative comment, though; I'd rather see you working on the actual game, engine and content than trying to cook up strings and stories in seven different languages.

I already started correcting the most annoying mistakes that popped into view, but there are a lot of strings that I apparently can't access or that I just haven't found yet. Among those, I couldn't find the building names, so I couldn't edit the evil "Shild" typo (missing an e there). Neither could I find the equipment names, and I'm not particularly fond of having my shield boosters called "Unbenannt".

Anyhow, enough of my little story. I'm not a german-speaker, but it is a language I've been wanting to learn for a long time, and I never had any problems understanding short german texts or small strings such as the ones in X-Force. With the help of logic, deduction, and perhaps once in a while a mighty online translator, I believe I'd have no trouble cooking up a nice smokin' X-Force english version. Assuming I can find where to edit those durned names, of course.

So, if you do need my help, you can contact me at one of the following:

MSN/WLM: dafrankerxd@hotmail.com
E-Mail: dafrankerxd@hotmail.com
AIM: DaFrankerXD
xFire: deathmerc

Or, of course, you could just reply to this post since I'll probably be watching this topic closely.
verfasst am: 05.02.2007, 00:37
Admin, Spielsatz GalWar

@DaFranker:
There are two types of texts in the game - the general game engine texts and the in-game-descriptions.
All in-game-descriptions like the names of devices are specific to a gameset and are accessed through the editor, not the general language files. The editor has a function to export and import a text file containing all descriptions and names. But that file has to be created, it isn't automatically avaible.

But you should start with the 0.910 - there are many improvements and the only reason why the latest version (Alpha-4) hasn't been relabelled as a Beta is because we didn't have time to do that, it is already a stable version with most of the big bugs eliminated ;-)

Help is always welcome - and I haven't even started with an english translation of the gameset "The galactic War" which is scheduled to become the new official storyline at some time in the future.
But you shouldn't work on a translation with the 0.903 - if you want to help you'll have to start with the newest version. The 0.910 has added many features to the game from construction materials to scripted controls of how the UFO's fly around to new weapon abilities in the ground combat and more.
And the descriptions for those new features are (at the moment) only in german in the german forum, waiting for someone to summarize them for the english community...
verfasst am: 05.02.2007, 04:05

Oh, I see. I just took a look around the editor, and there are the evil things I've been looking for. I guess now I'll be able to get busy.

I'm installing 0.910 as I'm typing this, and I'll take a look at that gameset as soon as I'm done trying out stuff. I'm not entirely certain I'll be able to do something decent with nothing to start from (pretty much a blind translation, here), but chances are I should do okay. With any luck, I'll understand german a little bit more by the time I'm done =)
verfasst am: 05.02.2007, 07:26
Admin, Spielsatz GalWar

You can ask me about the texts you don't understand - just send an email to xforce@avarion.de
If it isn't to much I'll usually answer emails within two or three days.

If you wait a few days I'll place an english background summary of the gameset in the wiki, that'll probably help to understand the descriptions better.
verfasst am: 06.02.2007, 23:55 · Edited by: DaFranker

Well, time for a little status report, I guess. I'm making good progress on the game's language file, correcting minor mistakes and such. I'm also working on the editor language file, since it would be good if myself and other english data editors or translators could know immediately what options they're editing, without having to go deductively or using a translator.

Anyhow, if you have any other things that you think I should prioritize, just tell me so.

EDIT: Oh, just checked my mail. Thank you, I'll get to work on that too.
verfasst am: 09.02.2007, 01:28

And here's another report. Translation of the hints file is done, as you know, and I believe I'm doing very well on the game language file. In fact, I've done pretty much all I could without having to jump in the game and seek out errors right there. So, I guess I'll be doing a bunch of playtesting.

I'll also be correcting or updating the default gameset, since apparently nobody's worked on it for... well, a long while. Oh, and I added the missing strings (CR0605...) so that it wouldn't show up that annoying error window when starting the game.

Work on the editor language file is going to be a little slow, but I think I can manage to do something with it anyways.

If anybody else wants to help, just pop up and say so, I might be evil, but not enough to keep all the fun for myself and share nothing! :P
verfasst am: 11.02.2007, 15:46
Registrierdatum: 29.07.2005, 09:20

I have to hand in my master thesis in four weeks.
After that I have a huge list of things I want to do and helping X-Force is one of them.

Translating parts of the game is perhaps a good point to start with, even if a native english speaker should always take a glance at my results... :-)
verfasst am: 11.02.2007, 17:45

Well, I'm not really a native english speaker, but since I did learn it at the age of 11 and I find myself correcting native english speakers more often than not, I guess I qualify. So, if you've got any doubts or want me to check something, send me a note and I'll try to help.

Just one question... do you fully speak german? 'caus then, I guess it might help to save some of the more complex stuff such as the descriptions and explanations on the forums and wiki for when you could help, if you do speak german. DirkF could help too, but that would mean taking him away from the more important work, and his time is rather limited, from what I understand.
verfasst am: 11.02.2007, 17:57
Admin, Spielsatz GalWar

Kahlos also checked in today, and I have someone else who voluntared to help as a german speaker with knowledge of english.

It will probably take some time to organise everything, but with four people (two from the english and two from the german side) working together we should be able to get translations for everything.

I'll be able to help organise everything within the next weeks, but I have only about one week time left to get the promised X-Force update out - after that I'll have to work on another project to prepare for a demonstration at the "Buchmesse" in Leipzig.
verfasst am: 11.02.2007, 20:29 · Edited by: Moderator

Looks like I missed out lol. Damn internet i did email you DirkF but i guess it got lost..... Ah well i'm working on it now. So to sum up. We've got :

DaFranker dafrankerxd (at) hotmail.com
Kahlos (Native English) kahlos (at) gmail.com
Gand2alf (Native German) madtom2000 (at) yahoo.com
Hieronymus (Native German) hieronymus (at) gmx.de

Working on the translations from German to English. Is that all the people ? Just to make sure so that we don't miss anybody out. I'll email everyone finding out what their doing once I know for sure that, that's everybody. As i'm the only native English speaker everybody can send me their completed translations for me to look over. Gand2alf says that he doesn't have much time to spend translating it so instead of actually translating any of it he can look over my translations. Unless of course he wants to do some translations :P.

edit by DirkF: spaced the email-adresses so that not every bot could detect them for spamming...
verfasst am: 11.02.2007, 20:39 · Edited by: DirkF
Admin, Spielsatz GalWar

DaFranker isn't native German, he plans to learn German. His english is good from what I've read so far, so the best way would be Kahlos and DaFranker doing the final translations, asking Gand2alf and Hieronymus for clarification where they don't understand enough of the german texts. And Gand2alf and Hieronymus could also make first-try-translations on the longer german texts that DaFranker and Kahlos mark as "can't understand them".

New Hint-File done, game and config-files probably nearing finish, editor language file got a few problems as it doesn't list all german strings from the editor program - but that can't be solved until we reprogram the editor to include those strings. Probably in two or three months, depending on time.

The next part should be translating the new texts about the gameset I'm writing here:
http://doc.xforce-online.de/ger_pages/GalWar/Inhalt.html

Those will give the english speaking people a good summary what the gameset is about and provide a starting point for the gameset translation.

Verschoben nach Translations
verfasst am: 11.02.2007, 21:05

Ok, sounds good. After closer reading of DaFrankers post I realise what he meant :P. I'll be emailing the other guys to see what their working on. And I'll get on with it :)
verfasst am: 11.02.2007, 22:26

Heh. Well, I posted up the things I'm working on in the thread Kahlos created.

By the way, if ever you send me an e-mail and I don't reply within two days, just post on this board or send the email again. I've been having problems with my mail recently. From what I managed to understand, there are some problems with the older Live Mail servers, and since I was among the first to get a Live Mail account invitation, I guess I'm suffering from those baddie servers.
verfasst am: 12.02.2007, 10:00

Ah ok, I'll remember that one ;)
verfasst am: 05.12.2007, 15:45
Admin, Spielsatz GalWar

Attention all Translators:

At some time this month (NOT within the next two weeks, more like mid to end of december) I will post the current language file of the galactic war on Mantis for translation into english.
It will be divided into several parts to help with sharing the work.
Every translation object needs to be checked again, even the ones that were translated last time - in a few cases I needed to change the german text and the english text no longer fits the german one. Besides - the first translation never got a proofread, so this will be the proofread in those cases where the german text hadn't changed.

The exact date of posting depends on how long I need to add several missing things to the gameset, but I should be able to complete that work within this month.

This is just as an advance info for you...
verfasst am: 05.12.2007, 16:35
Registrierdatum: 29.07.2005, 09:20

As already mentioned in this thread, I just started translating parts of the wiki.
In the next weeks I will try to focus on the X-Script-part, but anyone else could join, it doesn't have to be a one man show. :-)

Seite: 1 [2] [3] >>

Du musst dich registrieren um auf dieses Thema zu antworten.
Login :: » Name » Passwort

Ladezeit (sec.): 0.013 · Powered by miniBB 1.6 with parts of 1.7 © 2001-2003