Banner left   Banner center   Banner right

Germanenglish Home · News · Diary · Screenshots · Documentation (Wiki) · Downloads · Guestbook · Forum

Home · Benutzer registrieren · Suchen · Statistik · FAQ · Benutzerliste

Zur Zeit online: keiner ausser dir

X-Force - Fight For Destiny - Forum —› Translations —› English Translation Progress

Seite: << [1] 2 [3] >>

Autor Mitteilung
verfasst am: 04.09.2007, 00:34
Registrierdatum: 03.09.2007, 07:28

Will do, and thanks for the reply.
verfasst am: 06.09.2007, 00:13 · Edited by: DaFranker
Registrierdatum: 04.02.2007, 22:45

*sigh*

Well, there was almost no progress on my part since my last message. I didn't quite get that time I wished for, so if anyone else wants a go at merging the partly-translated files, just tell me and I'll try to send them somehow. While I've got some free time now, I'll go work on an english version of the How-To-Make-A-Gameset wikipage.

One thing that would be REALLY helpful for setting up an organized translation team would be to create a new SVN/CVS repository for the translation files (or a new separate section in the current programming CVS to which translators would be limited and wouldn't have write access to the other sections, if that can be done).

Makkenhoff, there's one thing that allows you to actually be efficient even with freeware translation engines: knowing multiple languages. I already know english, french and spanish, so if something's not clear with the first translation attempt, I have two other shots at understanding the original text. You can also simply rewrite entire paragraphs while keeping the same writing style as the original text if you pay attention to structure and key words. I've been working with web translation, basic logic and online dictionaries as my only tools so far, and I've found them more than sufficient. If you really want to help with the translations, I'm quite certain you can.

Concerning updates, I also know a few possible reasons. I have around three hours of free time each day, but often those are totally eaten-up by simple tasks such as keeping up with forums, posting updates in projects I work on, or discussing one of those projects with another team member.

Also, keep in mind that translation is boring work for almost everyone. I like it, because I learn german while doing it, but if I try translating from english to french or vice-versa, I'll fall asleep within minutes. Because of this, many people will delay posting their work because they fear that others will criticize them for not having done 'enough' work on it for the amount of time they've been supposed to be translating.

That's another reason why a repository would be useful; they're made for small, progressive updates, so no one gets 'shy' about updating simply because they haven't done as much as they think they should have.

By the way, we'll always need proofreaders. There are always mistakes lurking everywhere in games like this one, so if someone like you can catch some of them during development, it'll make the game overall look more professional -- which in turn attracts more people to help.
verfasst am: 06.09.2007, 05:44
Registrierdatum: 03.09.2007, 07:28

All good points, DaFranker. I thought similarly of a repository, all maintained in house with key access going to certain individuals. But I figured it would be too much work for the existing group to manage on top of everything else. :)
verfasst am: 06.09.2007, 06:48
Admin, Spielsatz GalWar

Registrierdatum: 31.08.2005, 21:51

Zitat: Makkenhoff
But I figured it would be too much work for the existing group to manage on top of everything else. :)

And that's why I'm planning to look for someone willing to do that (and a few other things) as a new team member ;-)
The corresponding news will probably be ready by weekend...
verfasst am: 07.09.2007, 01:57 · Edited by: DaFranker

Looks like everyone had the same idea at the same time. Or, Dirk had that idea ages ago and couldn't really use it until now. Either way, I hope things are going to get smoother on the translation end within the following weeks.
verfasst am: 19.09.2007, 19:15
Admin, Spielsatz GalWar

To all of the translators:
Could you please post here if or when you'll have time to continue translating?

Thanks
verfasst am: 27.09.2007, 22:32

Well, I'll be making another burst this weekend. I can't say for certain what happens after that -- my schedules are all weird and messy, which makes it rather hard to predict or plan my free time.

In short, it's all very ifsy on my part, so beyond the little bit of work I'll do this weekend you can consider me an "irregular contributor" or something like that.
verfasst am: 27.09.2007, 22:39
Admin, Spielsatz GalWar

This weekend I'll send emails to the two who answered the call for proofreader and coordinator and we'll see how we could organise everything.

There are a few missing translations in the galactic war gameset as well as a complete proofreading of that gameset.
After that comes a little more proofreading of the game's language files (I found a few things "out of boundary" when I started the game in english).

After that there's the possibility of a second gameset to be translated to english or a proofreading and translation of some selected pages in the wiki (those who are most important to new english gamers).
verfasst am: 28.09.2007, 21:35
Admin, Spielsatz GalWar

I'm preparing a new project "Translations" on our bugtracker. This should help in coordinating the translations.

When I'm finished I'll post a short english description on how to use the bugtracker.
verfasst am: 27.01.2008, 20:52
Registrierdatum: 18.09.2005, 21:18

I apologize for double-posting (I also posted a short message on the other translation thread)

I am willing to be a proof reader. I cannot verify the German to English phase, since I do not know any German. However, English (U.S.) is the only language I know. Note that I do not claim to be perfect :}

Let me know if this is something you still need. My e-mail is:

tnoyce@hotmail.com.
verfasst am: 27.01.2008, 22:22
Admin, Spielsatz GalWar

As soon as I find time to combine the ten parts of the current translation file for the galwar, that will go as a mantis ticket for proofreading.

Might take a few more days...
verfasst am: 05.02.2008, 01:22 · Edited by: Virus_cg5
Registrierdatum: 03.02.2008, 07:57

names/descriptions of the object-attributes translation in a xls format will change if needed. I've still got to proofread it all but will do that as try my hand at making a gameset

http://himself.adsl24.co.uk/files/Edit Translations.xls
*Added* Translation of the language file for the edit.exe still to be proofread my god with it head ache todo with all the variables
http://himself.adsl24.co.uk/files/Edit V910b english.dat
verfasst am: 05.02.2008, 07:22
Admin, Spielsatz GalWar

Zitat: Virus_cg5
Added* Translation of the language file for the edit.exe still to be proofread my god with it head ache todo with all the variables http://himself.adsl24.co.uk/files/Edit V910b english.dat

Hint:
You can easily upload the translated files into our bugtracking system at the link on the right side of the main page - yous make a new ticket and add the translation file there.
verfasst am: 05.02.2008, 07:49 · Edited by: Virus_cg5

"You can easily upload the translated files into our bugtracking system at the link on the right side of the main page" - DirkF

Yeah I signed upto that but got no e-mail back, think it might have something todo with me putting @yahoo.com instead of @yahoo.co.uk, is there any chance you could fix this because now my username is used

*Added*
could you send me the full german langauge dat for edit.exe as some of the translations already done don't seem right
verfasst am: 05.02.2008, 08:35 · Edited by: DirkF
Admin, Spielsatz GalWar

Zitat: Virus_cg5
could you send me the full german langauge dat for edit.exe as some of the translations already done don't seem right

Sorry - there's no such file.
The translations to the editor were added at a later time and not from the beginning, and as a result the german constants are stored inside the exe, not in a seperate place.

And please check if you got an email from the bugtracker now - I initiated a passwort reset on your account
verfasst am: 05.02.2008, 09:11

nope still no e-mail, think it is the problem I highlighted is it possible to delete that users so I can re-register with the wrong e-mail address.

As for translating I'm done a quick proof read and changed what I understood.
verfasst am: 05.02.2008, 09:18
Admin, Spielsatz GalWar

account deleted
verfasst am: 05.02.2008, 19:53 · Edited by: Virus_cg5

does the command (new) serve any purpose other than saying its a new function for the edit.exe
verfasst am: 05.02.2008, 20:39 · Edited by: DirkF
Admin, Spielsatz GalWar

If you mean a "(new)" inside the language file - that's not a command but a flag to show that the constant that holds this translation is either new or that the original has been changed since the last time the language file had been translated.

As soon as the language file has been translated once you only need to search for the phrase (new) to find and correct new parts of the language file.
And after it's changed you simply delete the (new) and the old part of the translation.
verfasst am: 05.02.2008, 20:55

lol well guess I'm doing to much work then as I'm confirming each and every command is translated correct and is also correct for that function in edit.exe

Seite: << [1] 2 [3] >>

Du musst dich registrieren um auf dieses Thema zu antworten.
Login :: » Name » Passwort

Ladezeit (sec.): 0.034 · Powered by miniBB 1.6 with parts of 1.7 © 2001-2003